Every year on the third Thursday of November the American Cancer Society encourages smokers to quit smoking for at least one day or for good with the Great American Smokeout. The Great American Smokeout started on November 28, 1976 when the California Division of the American Cancer Society was able to get 1 million smokers to quit for the day. Because it was such a success The American Cancer Society rolled it out nationwide in 1977.
The Great American Smokeout has drawn attention to the adverse health affects smoking has. So much focus has come out of this day that laws were created to stop smoking in work places, restaurants and to limit cigarette promotions and discourage teen cigarette use.
In honor of The Great American Smokeout and lung cancer awareness month I put together some tips that I use with hypnosis clients to help them become non-smokers.
- Pick a date in the next week or so and start cutting down cigarettes. Once you get to that date commit to yourself and stop smoking
- Change the habit of smoking to something else. For example when you feel the need to smoke take a drink from a bottle of water instead.
- Create and then say affirmations twice a day. Create affirmations that make sense to you. For example I easily quit smoking and live a healthy life or I am a nonsmoker for the rest of my life.
- Stay away from situations that trigger the need to smoke
- Utilize hypnosis and visualize yourself not smoking, being clam and relaxed and living a healthy life
Best time to quit smoking
Did you know that one of the best times to quit smoking is when you go on vacation? When you are on vacation you are on a different schedule, relaxed and busy doing fun activities.
Make this November the year you quit smoking and take a step forward in living a healthier life. Remember you can do it!